Insider Quick Tips
Insider Quick Tips
Isn’t it nice to know the “secrets” from the locals!? Here’s a list of some quick tips I’ve learned since becoming a Garrett County resident. Locals and visitors, I hope you will find these helpful...
- Bring a sweatshirt! Even in the warmer months we get some chilly evenings. If you're coming in October and beyond, bring a sweatshirt and a jacket...and maybe some snow boots.
- Lakeside Creamery is a BIG favorite, but it closes for the off-season after Autumn Glory in mid-October. Bonus tip: ice cream pints are usually half price during Autumn Glory weekend!
- Cash is needed at the state parks! At least if there’s no attendant at the entrance, which is only a few days a week in the warmer months. $3 per person for in-state, $5 per person for out-of-state and kids in car seats are free. If an attendant is present, credit cards are accepted.
- We have a Walmart! Located in Oakland, about 20 minutes south of McHenry. So if you forget to bring a sweatshirt…
- You could also check out High Mountain Sports for a sweatshirt, along with many other outdoor clothing and gear needs.
- Coming through the town of Accident? The speed limit is 25. Go 25.
- Visit the Casselman Bakery & Café at the lake in the late afternoon for a chance at half-price donuts!
- The Honi-Honi Bar is connected to UNO's and both are family-friendly…mostly during the day (if you're visiting Honi). There’s yard space to hang out on your chairs and blankets in summer, and a pirate ship, giant whale and elephant or the kids to climb.
- Don’t miss Tolliver! Make sure you do the full loop at Swallow Falls State Park so you see all three waterfalls, including Tolliver Falls, a very picturesque part of the forest.
- No Starbucks here, but no worries. We have Traders Coffee House! You could also grab a cup of coffee at Canoe on the Run.
- Black Bear Wine & Words has free wifi! Work on your laptop in their cozy space and enjoy some wine, too.
- Speaking of wine, McHenry Beverage has the biggest wine room I’ve ever seen and Deep Creek Beverage has a super convenient drive-thru. Be sure to tell owners Jim and Peg that I sent you!