About Deep Creek
Who We are & Fun Facts
Deep Creek may be closer than you think. Deep Creek may also be for you and you don’t even realize it. Here’s a little more info about this corner of Maryland that we love!
Deep Creek Lake is located in the center of Garrett County, the most far western county in Maryland. (It still makes me laugh when some say that Western Maryland is Hagerstown. That’s two hours east of here! Anyways…) We border both West Virginia and Pennsylvania, making us very accessible to places like Morgantown and Pittsburgh. You can hop on interstates 79, 68 and 70 (among other major highways like route 40, 48, 119, 219) to get to us. We’re also within a few hours of Ohio, Virginia, and the eastern side of our state, too.
We’re home to farmers, families, retirees, small business owners, second home owners, and numerous kiddos who attend our schools in the south and north. We’ve got an active local community with a busy events calendar and many successful non-profit organizations. Our spring and summer seasons come a little late, fall comes early and winter sometimes sticks around for too long. But we love it here!
For the Love Map
Here are some fun facts I like to share when asked about Deep Creek:
- The lake has 65 miles of shoreline and is the largest lake in Maryland. It’s also a man-made lake.
- We’re a little chillier than our neighbors and usually see temperatures 10 degrees cooler than those just over the border. We also get a lot of snow. #TundraofMaryland
- Garrett County only has 30,000 residents.
- Garrett County welcomes more than 1 million visitors each year.
- We’re more than just a lake. We’ve got so many great small towns in our county!
- There’s no Starbucks in Garrett County, but we have Traders! We also don’t have Target, but we survive.
- Our State Parks are such gems! Waterfalls, hiking, biking, swimming, beach play, and cabins for rent.
We’re a busy place! Events for non-profits, business groups, learning opportunities, music, art, community, kiddos, locals, visitors…there’s so much going on in Deep Creek!
Am I missing something!? Please email me at email@example.com to make a calendar suggestion. Thank you!