Insider Info: Things To Know When Planning for Deep Creek
Published: June 5, 2019
Consider this another installment of the Insider Quick Tips, but with some wedding style.
Since my primary job is wedding photographer, my interests naturally fall to weddings. I’m especially excited and passionate about the weddings happening here in Garrett County and the amount of destination couples we have marrying each year.
This version of Insider Info goes beyond finding a venue and hiring some vendors.
- Before you check Pinterest and print off planning checklists, consider making your wedding YOU. Don’t be afraid to create an experience that’s personally unique, one that will truly be YOU. Deep Creek actually has a ton of different wedding experiences available, which is one reason we attract couples from all over. No matter who YOU are, we probably have something to fit your style.
- Based on personal experience and in talking with other local vendors, booking your venue and photographer first seems to be best practice! We’ve got both premiere venues and photographers who sometimes book 18+ months in advance.
- Want to marry on the lakefront? A rental home is one way to do it, but make sure you let the rental company know so they can inform of you the rules and logistics that will help ensure your love at the lake happens without fail, and without legal trouble.
- While Deep Creek has a wide variety of lodging options (hotels, condos, rental homes, glamping, campgrounds, tiny cabin village), there are only a few options that will hold a large number of people. Get your room blocks early!
- Do you need your engagement pictures for save-the-dates? They’re typically sent 6-10 months before the wedding date, so coordinate accordingly with your photographer. Deep Creek and Garrett County have lots of beautiful places for engagement pictures!
- Consider hiring a day-of coordinator, even if you aren’t hiring a planner for full services. They can serve as your go-to person on the wedding day and help gather extra area info and know-how, especially if this is an area you’re unfamiliar with.
- Consider treating your guests to some local flavor! Whether it’s in the wedding welcome bags or the dessert at the reception, our area has lots of locally made treats to complement a destination wedding: lavender from Deep Creek Lavender Farm, kettle corn from Copper Kettle Popcorn Co, varieties of candy from Candyland.
- Are you having an October wedding? Check with the Garrett County Visitors Center for the year’s Autumn Glory Festival dates. If you’re marrying on Autumn Glory Saturday, lodging may be especially limited and there will be some road blocks in Oakland. On the flipside, more activities for you and your guests to enjoy, and the foliage is usually stellar during that time of the year.
- We don’t have a Target, but we have a Walmart! Whether you need something during your wedding planning weekend, engagement session visit or morning of the wedding day, you can make a quick run to our Walmart in Oakland.
- The Honi-Honi Bar is a staple at Deep Creek. A fun place for the whole family to hangout on a nice afternoon in the warmer months (yes, kids welcome…pirate ship, giant elephant and whale playard) and a party place for the adults in the evening. It’s also a nice stop for bachelor and bachelorette parties.
Back to Blog